breaking wave at sunset

I’ve used this one before but it’s getting a repeat. I’m heading for 17 days of sunsets and ocean waves. 

As land acknowledgements have become a more common practice I’ve noticed that they have also become more than just saying where you are physically situated. I want to know more about doing acknowledgements respectfully so they aren’t just lip service and then I came across this at UBC:

https://wpl.ubc.ca/browse/professional-development/courses/wpl-pd-rsr

I will take a look at it when I am back from vacation.

I was doing a google search for some pictures from Puerto Vallarta and found one of my own. I followed the link and it was on wikimedia so I clicked on my name and found loads of my pictures. Maybe from that time I went CC 0 for a while.  I thought it was a little serendipitous that I found this on the morning my POSE program kick-off was happening. 

The kick-off was good, informative, and I met a few new people. I got up early a few days just to try and get some reading in. I find it harder to concentrate on reading these days and I hope some of it will stick. The quote below seems consistent with things I’ve been seeing not only about scholarship, but about media in general.  The good quality content is locked up behind pay walls and a lot of nonsense is free-flowing.  Not exactly the same, but conceptually, it made me think. 

Quote from the course:

“As a movement, open access is best understood as a commonsense response to one of the fundamental weaknesses of scholarly publishing – research is largely supported through public funds, yet the vast majority of funded research is published in paywalled journals that only those affiliated with academic institutions have access to. Limiting access to this knowledge not only prevents those who have funded the research from accessing it, it also severely undercuts its potential to positively impact the world and contribute to innovation and the betterment of society.”

This week I mostly worked on cleaning up my WP pages for Brightspace and creating some graphics. I’m not sure if they add value or not but they’re  something like the handouts of the past, just not really printable or accessible.  I also did a little work with organizer pages in our course that will support the upcoming training sessions, and had a couple of meetings. I am on vacation as of January 26th so not high functioning right now.  Hopefully, I’ll return relaxed and ready to crank out some content. Sometimes a little time away helps clear out the cobwebs and increase focus.