boats in the harbourThings are busy, but calm for now. Next week we set sail.

Monday was a half day for me. This is the last week of the randomized work weeks.

Most of the morning was taken up with instructor meetings. One was a course walk through and checking up on settings the rest was general Blackboard help.  I also dis the prep for Tuesday’s BB Learn session., getting people in the studio course, creating folders, clean up etc. I still couldn’t get the new in line grading tool to work properly. I have to minimize the window and then maximize for the tools to show up. I want to do a quick video but I’d like to know it’s stable – something to talk with Mike about. Instructors want to know more about grade center and marking but I’m  not sure how much of that will stick trying to learn it right now with no practical application for it until the first assignments start coming in.

Tuesday Margaret and I did a BB Learn hands on studio. It was well attended. Some instructors aren’t new to Blackboard and they have their own ways of doing things that didn’t follow the studio practices. Interesting how some are keen to try a new/different way and some, not so much.  After our staff meeting, I booked time for some help desk tickets back to back in BlueJeans meetings.  One instructor had the wrong day so I spent my waiting time doing prep for the two Kaltura sessions coming on Wednesday. Some of hte features still aren’t working properly but shouldn’t affect the studios.

Albert and I did two Kaltura sessions on Wednesday followed by a couple more instructor meetings. These were the youtube and express capture sessions. If the studios carry on I want to look at the two different Kaltura sessions and maybe juggle the content between them a bit. I had a couple of instructor meetings again in the afternoon. I remember feeling really tired after the first one but the second one was actually quite energizing. I think I am picking up on the energy of the people I’m working with. Some of the fear and trepidation is coming through and it can be wearing. But then sometimes I can sense the excitement about new opportunities and exploring new ways of teaching and that is invigorating.

I think some of the instructors that are requesting time are really just looking for some supportive assurance that they’re going to be okay. And they will be.  I think they’re a bit punchy right now with all the changes and just need a calm presence to tell them they’ve got this.